5.06.2010

No-Poo Update

So, I fell off no-poo path, but not entirely. Baking soda and apple cider vinegar worked wonderfully but it was just too time consuming for me. When I take a shower it usually has to be quick and that part of no-poo just wasn't quick for me.
I still don't use conventional shampoo and conditioner though. While doing no-poo I found that my hair was actually very manageable (aside from the tangle here and there, but that's no biggie) and I didn't NEED conditioner. At all!

I switched to all natural bar shampoo.
I found this great shop on Etsy, Purely Simple Body, that sells shampoo bars for about $3. I ordered the Sedr and Juniper Berry, Purely Simple for Blonde, and the Chai shampoo bars. As a treat I also ordered the cardamom, vetiver, and henna soap to use on my body and face.
All the soaps smell delicious and they work great! There are just a few ingredients in each soap and all the soaps are organic and vegan.

I will update again soon with some photos! I highly suggest switching from conventional chemical filled shampoos to something all natural! I have gotten more compliments and "did you do something different to your hair?" comments since I made the switch!
Jessica

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I read through some of your posts, I am sorry your going through a rough time as am I too(for different reasons), hang in there. I found you on MBC, vegetarian moms. www.ecomodernmom.com

Emily B said...

I was wondering how the no-poo was going. I keep thinking about switching but it seemed like too much hassle. This seems like a much easier option! Thanks for the update and the link to the Etsy shop!

Unknown said...

No-poo works pretty well for me, but I'm able to get by on one or two washings per week.

Even if I had to wash my hair more frequently, though, this is just so much cheaper that I'd be willing to spend the extra time.

Amber Morrisey (@BirthRoutes) said...

I feel off the no-poo bandwagon too. I just wasn't loving it. Thanks for the shop link, being vegan and keeping things pure is very important to me.

ashley said...

what WAS your routine, if i may ask? why would it take too long? i'm thinking about trying it and would love to know what you ended up doing in the end.
~ashley

Annie Valentine said...

Oh man I loved the no-poo... for like two weeks, then I missed pretty scents... So, what scent was your fav out of the bar shampoos?

Jessica Lyn. said...

@ashley - when i was doing the baking soda i was mixing a tablespoon of baking soda in some water, massaging it into my scalp, then rinsing. I as doing that about once every 3 days, or when my hair got really greasy. i put some apple cider vinegar mixed with water into a spray bottle and used that after the baking soada as a conditioner.

Now when I have time to shower, which seems few and far between, I just use the soap bar. I might use the ACV sometimes cause it really is awesome, but bar soap is so much easier

@Annie - I am kinda digging the Sedr bar soap the best!

#navbar { height: 0px; visibility: hidden; display: none; }